OCM Weekly Highlights
25th January 2009
OCM Official Website: www.olympic.org.my
151st OCM Council Meeting – 7th February 2009 at 9.30 a.m. at Conference Room, Ground Floor, Wisma OCM, Kuala Lumpur.
OCM Sports Goodwill Ambassadors Annual Gathering – 7th February 2009 at 11.30 a.m. at Conference Room, Ground Floor, Wisma OCM, Kuala Lumpur.
The OCM Board meeting held on 20th January 2009 decided on the following:-
• Approved the formation of the OCM Athletes Commission, with 6 members. Two of them, a male and a female will be co-opted as members of the OCM Executive Board and the OCM Council.
• Approved the following to be Chefs de Mission of Games in 2009:-
1st Asian Martial Arts Games – Encik Clement Soo, Secretary General, Malaysian Karate Federation.
1st Asian Youth Games – Puan Marina Chin, Headmistress, Bukit Jalil Sports School (her appointed was made and approved in 2008).
2nd Islamic Solidarity Games – Y.Bhg. Tan Sri Nordin Hassan, Board Member, National Sports Council.
3rd Asian Indoor Games – Encik N. Shanmugarajah, Secretary General, Malaysian Gymnastics Federation.
• Selected Encik K. Thevaraj, National Judo Coach, to apply for the Olympic Solidarity Coaches Scholarship to attend a Judo Coaches Course at the International Coaches Course at the University of Budapest, Hungary.
• Approved the priority order for the participation of Games to be as follows:
1st Priority – Olympic Games, Asian Games, Commonwealth Games, SEA Games.
2nd Priority – Youth Olympic Games, Commonwealth Youth Games, Asian Youth Games.
3rd Priority – Asian Indoor Games, Asian Beach Games, Asian Martial Arts Games, Islamic Solidarity Games, etc.
• Limit the number of participants of the 12th National Olympic Youth Session to 50 with 20 from NSAs, 20 from overseas and 10 from local universities. Reminded NSAs to send their representatives to participate in the above Youth Session.
• Approved the Volunteer Recognition Scheme of Grass-Roots sports coaches under OCM Sports Goodwill Ambassadors Programme to be as follows:
The coaches should be volunteers, who receive no salaries or collect fees/payments for the services they provide.
The coaches should be involved at grass-roots development of young athletes.
Weightage would be given to coaches who provide their services in rural or small towns.
NSAs and all those who know of any volunteer grass-roots coaches who deserve recognition, please submit their names and brief backgrounds of their involvements sports development to the Olympic Council of Malaysia, by fax (603-27152801) or email (nocmas @ tm. net. my) or my mail (Wisma OCM, Jalan Hang Jebat, 50150 Kuala Lumpur on or before 5th February 2009.
Gong Xi Fa Cai
The Office Bearers and members of OCM wish to extend their greetings to all Chinese members of OCM, NSAs, Sponsors, Media, and etc., Gong Xi Fa Cai for the Year of the Ox.
Virtual Olympic Congress
The deadline for the submission of contributions to the Virtual Olympic Congress has been extended to 28th February 2009. If you have not yet made your contribution to the Virtual Olympic Congress please do so immediately by registering at http://www. 2009 congress. olympic.org/en/Pages/default. aspx