OCM Weekly Highlights
31st October 2010
OCM Official Website: www.olympic.org.my
Handing of Jalur Gemilang Ceremony – the Handing of Jalur Gemilang to YBhg. Dato’ Zolkples Embong, Chef de Mission of the Malaysia Contingent to the Guangzhou 16th Asian Games 2010, by Y.B. Dato’ Ahmad Shabery Cheek, Minister of Youth and Sports Malaysia will be held on Wednesday, 3rd November at 5.00 pm at Parliament House.
17th OCM Executive Board Meeting – 9th November 2010 at 4.30 p.m. at OCM Boardroom.
Malaysian Waterski & Wakeboard Championship Round 4 – 12th to 14th November 2010 at Precinct 6, Putrajaya.
7th Junior Under-16 (Boys & Girls) Softball National Championship – 20th to 22nd November 2010 at Sekolah Menengah Teknik Taiping, Kamunting, Perak
8h OCM-Tan Sri Alex Lee Charity Golf Tournament 2010 – 1st December 2010 at the Saujana Golf and Country Club.
MAJOR SPORTS EVENTS 2010/2011
16th Asian Games Guangzhou 2010 – 12th to 27th November 2010, Guangzhou, China
29th Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) General Assembly 2010 -13th November 2010 at the Garden Hotel Guangzhou.
2nd Asian Beach Games Muscat 2010 – 8th to 16th December 2010, Muscat, Oman.
7th Asian Winter Games 2011, Astana-Almaty, Kazakhstan – 30th January to 6th February 2011
158th OCM Council Meeting
The 158th OCM Council Meeting was held 30th October 2010, at Wisma OCM, Kuala Lumpur. In the absence of the President, YAM Tunku Tan Sri Imran Almarhum Tuanku Ja’afar, the Deputy President, Y.Bhg. Tan Sri Dato’ Dr. M. Jegathesan chaired the Meeting.
The following matters were discussed and decided:
- The Council unanimously decided that at all international general assemblies and meetings, only the designated head of OCM delegation is permitted to proposed any resolution, which should also have the consensus of the other members of the delegation.
- Congratulated the Malaysian Contingent and the Chef de Mission of the Delhi XIX Commonwealth Games, for the best ever results achieved by the Malaysian Contingent as a Commonwealth Games, by winning 12 gold medals, 10 silver medals and 14 bronze medals.
- Approved the report of the 3rd Advanced Sports Management Course (MOSO) 2010 and requested the members of OCM to send their staff at state and national levels to attend the 4th ADSM in 2011.
- Decided to conduct a Basic Sports Administrators Course in Wisma OCM, for staff of members of OCM at state and national level over 5 Saturdays in 2011,
- Approved the progress report of the Task Force on the “Proposed Amendments to the Sports Development Act 1997”.
- Approved the final Malaysian Contingent to the Guangzhou 16th Asian Games comprising 209 male athletes, 130 female athletes and 133 team officials, competing in 29 sports.
- Approved the final Malaysian Contingent to the Guangzhou 2nd Asian Beach Games comprising 8 male athletes, 5 female athletes and 5 team officials, competing in two sports.
- 14th National Olympic Academy Session for Young Sports Leaders 2011
The 14th National Olympic Academy Session for Young Sports Leaders, organised by the National Olympic Academy of Malaysia will be held from 25th to 30th January 2011 at Wisma OCM, Jalan Hang Jebat, Kuala Lumpur. Affiliates of OCM are requested to nominate their representatives, to attend the above Session. The best Malaysian male and female participant will be selected to represent Majlis Olimpik Malaysia to attend the International Olympic Academy Session to be held in Olympia, Greece, in June/July 2011.
All members of OCM are encouraged to nominate candidates to attend the 14th National Olympic Academy Session for Young Sports Leaders 2011.
Joint Meeting IOC Executive Board with National Olympic Committees.
The Joint Meeting IOC Executive Board with National Olympic Committees was held on 24th October 2010. The President of the IOC, Dr. Jacques Rogge settled a number of issues brought up by the delegates of the NOCs.
The IOC President requested the NOCs to promote the spirit of the Youth Olympic Games r spread in their countries in the run-up to the first Youth Winter Olympic Games to be held in Innsbruck, in 2012. He urged the NOCs to increase the number of women sports leaders to hold key positions within their organizations and to encourage and promote the participation of athletes in the IOC’s Athlete Career Programme during their competitive years as well as after their retirement from high-level competition. He called on the NOCs to carry out programmes to promote Olympic Day, on 23rd June, as a regular celebration of the Olympic values.
The Joint Meeting discussed the effects of Fireworks during Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Olympic Games and other Gmaes, and whether they should be banned or at least reduced the magnitude. The IOC President requested the Sport and Environment Commission of the IOC to carry out a study before making a decision. The issue of illegal betting and the proposal of forming a World Anti-Betting Agency, like WADA, were also discussed.
For details of the Olympic meetings in Acapulco, please go to www. olympic. org (“Media” section).