OCM Weekly Highlights
25th July 2010
OCM Official Website: www.olympic.org.my
National Basketball League 2010 – 9th to 11th July 2010 at Bintulu Indoor Stadium, Sarawak, 16th to 18th July 2010 at Dewan KDCA, Penampang, Sabah, 24th to 26th July 2010 at Indera Mulia Stadium, Ipoh and 30th July to 1st August 2010 at MABA Stadium, Kuala Lumpur. 2 matches will be played each night, except for the final night on 1st August 2010.
14th Malaysia Woodball International Open Championship 2010 – 28th July to 2nd August 2010 at Taman Metropolitan Batu, Kuala Lumpur.
ASEAN Women Softball Championship 2010 – 29th July to 1st August 2010 at Senayan Stadium, Jakarta.
World Youth Tenpin Bowling Championships 2010 – 23rd July to 1st August 2010, Helsinki, Finland.
Malaysian Ladies Amateur Golf Open 2010 – 3rd to 5th August 2010 at The Mines Resort & Golf Club, Selangor.
10th Asian Karate Federation Junior & Cadet Championships Hong Kong – 5th to 8th August 2010 at Hong Kong.
World Men Tenpin Bowling Championships 2010 – 12th to 21st August 2010, Munich, Germany.
2010 Olympic Day Run – 26th September 2010 at 7.30 p.m. at Dataran Merdeka, Kuala Lumpur.
Malaysian Waterski & Wakeboard Championship Round 4 – 6th and 7th November 2010 at Precinct 6, Putrajaya.
29th Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) General Assembly 2010 -13th November 2010 at the Garden Hotel Guangzhou.
7th Junior Under-16 (Boys & Girls) National Championship – 20th to 22nd November 2010 at Ipoh, Perak
7th OCM-Tan Sri Alex Lee Charity Golf Tournament 2010 – 1st December 2010 at the Saujana Golf and Country Club.
MAJOR SPORTS EVENTS 2010
1st Youth Olympic Games 2010 – 14th to 26th August 2010, Singapore.
Delhi XIX Commonwealth Games 2010 – 3rd to 14th October 2010, Delhi, India
XVII ANOC General Assembly 2010 – 20th to 22nd October 2010 at Acapulco, Mexico.
1st World Olympic Sport Convention – 23rd October 2010 at Acapulco, Mexico.
NOCs/IOC Executive Board Joint Meeting – 24th October 2010 at Acapulco, Mexico.
16th Asian Games Guangzhou 2010 – 12th to 27th November 2010, Guangzhou, China
2nd Asian Beach Games Muscat 2010 – 8th to 16th December 2010, Muscat, Oman.
7th Asian Winter Games 2011, Astana-Almaty, Kazakhstan – 30th January to 6th February
157th OCM Council Meeting
The 157th OCM Council Meeting was held 24th July 2010 at 9.30 a.m. at Level 2C, Wisma OCM Phase II. The following matters were decided:
- Approved the Malaysian Olympic Partnership Programme (MOPP) proposed by Dentsu Malaysia.
- Approved the appointment of Y.Bhg. Dato’ James Selvaraj, the Senior Manager (Marketing) of BATA, a long term sponsor for OCM, to be the Chef de Mission (CDM) for the 2nd Asian Beach Games in Muscat.
- Approved the selection of 108 men and 80 women athletes with 93 officials for the XIX Commonwealth Games, Delhi 2010.
- Approved the selection of 121 male and 79 female athletes under Category A and 88 male and 48 female athletes under Category B for the 16th Asian Games 2010, Guangzhou. The total number of sports is 32 out of 42 sports in the Guangzhou 16th Asian Games programme.
- Decided that those NSAs who have outstanding payments of their Category B athletes and officials for the 25th SEA Games 2009, would not be permitted to send any athletes or officials under Category B for future Games, until their outstanding payments are settled.
- Approved the Malaysian Contract Bridge Association and the Triathlon Association of Malaysia to be Associate Member of OCM.
- Approved Taekwondo Malaysia to be an Ordinary Member of OCM, only when it fulfill the conditions that its states affiliates have been officially established and its office bearers duly elected.
- Decided that a special Task Force be established to study the Sports Development Act 1997 with the objective of improving the Act and making it more effective by removing all anomalies, wrong definitions, wrong interpretations, and wrong enforcements, etc.
In addition, the 157th Council Meeting noted the contents of the letter from the NOC Relations Department of the IOC, which clarified that Rule 16 of the Olympic Charter applies to IOC members specifically and has no bearings on the NOCs. Copies of the following papers presented at the Olympic Solidarity Forum for Asian NOCs – Autonomy of the Olympic and Sport Movement, Ethics and Good Governance and Arbitration and Mediation in Sport were distributed to all Council members.
On the completion of the 157th OCM Council Meeting, at 11.30 a.m., the 10th OCM Annual Events Seminar was held.
Representatives of Astro Arena presented a briefing on the progress of Astro Arena to-date and the support and cooperation required from OCM and its affiliates. On the completion of the presentation by Astro Arena, Dr. Ernest Yeoh, presented a very interesting and informative paper on ‘The Prevention of Sudden Deaths of Athletes’.