OCM Weekly Highlights
15th August 2010
OCM Official Website: www.olympic.org.my
2010 Malaysia International Ice Hoceky Tournament – 22nd to 25th September 2010 at Sunway Pyramid Ice, Bandar Sunway. Time – all day.
2010 Olympic Day Run – 26th September 2010 at 7.30 p.m. at Dataran Merdeka, Kuala Lumpur.
158th OCM Council Meeting – 30th October 2010 at 9.30 p.m. at Level 2C, Wisma OCM Phase II.
Malaysian Waterski & Wakeboard Championship Round 4 – 6th and 7th November 2010 at Precinct 6, Putrajaya.
7th Junior Under-16 (Boys & Girls) National Championship – 20th to 22nd November 2010 at Ipoh, Perak
8h OCM-Tan Sri Alex Lee Charity Golf Tournament 2010 – 1st December 2010 at the Saujana Golf and Country Club.
MAJOR SPORTS EVENTS 2010
1st Youth Olympic Games 2010 – 14th to 26th August 2010, Singapore.
CGF General Assembly 2010 – 2nd October 2010 at Ashok Hotel, Delhi.
XIX Commonwealth Games Delhi 2010 – 3rd to 14th October 2010, Delhi, India
XVII ANOC General Assembly 2010 – 20th to 22nd October 2010 at Acapulco, Mexico.
1st World Olympic Sport Convention – 23rd October 2010 at Acapulco, Mexico.
NOCs/IOC Executive Board Joint Meeting – 24th October 2010 at Acapulco, Mexico.
16th Asian Games Guangzhou 2010 – 12th to 27th November 2010, Guangzhou, China
29th Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) General Assembly 2010 -13th November 2010 at the Garden Hotel Guangzhou.
2nd Asian Beach Games Muscat 2010 – 8th to 16th December 2010, Muscat, Oman.
7th Asian Winter Games 2011, Astana-Almaty, Kazakhstan – 30th January to 6th February
15th OCM Executive Board Meeting
The 15th OCM Executive Board Meeting was held on 10th August 2010 at 4.30 p.m. at OCM Boardroom. The following matters were decided:
- Selected Y.Bhg. Prof. Dato’ Dr. Zakaria Ahmad, Vice President of OCM and Chairman of the OCM National Olympic Academy to attend the VII World Conference on Sport, Culture and Education – 5th to 7th December 2010, Durban, South Africa, under the sponsorship of Olympic Solidarity.
- Approved the selection of two Double Trap shooters who have met the qualifying standards, to participate in the XIX Commonwealth Games Delhi 2010.
- Approved the selection of one male and one female weightlifters who have met the qualifying standards, to participate in the XIX Commonwealth Games Delhi 2010.
- Rejected the application by the Pacific West Dragon Boat Club to participate in the 16th Asian Games Guangzhou 2010.
- Approved the organisation of a Round Table discussion on the Sports Development Act 1997, on 2nd September 2010 from 10.00 am to 12.30 pm.
- Approved the upgrading of the OCM Sports Museum and Hall of Fame.
- To finalise the OCM Handbook on the Rules of Arbitration and Mediation of OCM.
10th Asian Karate Federation Junior & Cadet Championships Hong Kong
The 10th Asian Junior & Cadet Karate Championship 2010, was successfully organised by the Karatedo Federation of Hong Kong, China Limited from 5th to 8th of August 2010. The Competition Venue was the Ma On Shan Sports Centre. The number of participants was around 680 from 28 countries. Iran was the Overall Champion with 11 Gold Medals, 7 Silver Medals & 7 Bronze Medals, this is the first time Iran sent its female athletes to take part.
Malaysia finished in 5th position in the championship with 2 Gold Medals & 7 Bronze Medals. The Malaysian medalists are as shown below:
- Ms. Sharmila (Female Junior Kumite +59 kg)
- Ms. Shree Sharmini (Female Under 21 Kumite +60 kg)
- Ms. Khaw Yee Voon (Female Cadet Individual Kata)
- Mr. Emmanuel Leong (Male Junior Individual Kata)
- Female Team Kata (Ms. Khaw Yee Voon, Ms. Celine Lee Xin Yi, Ms. Sek Jiawen)
- Male Team Kata (Mr. Hoe Thomson, Mr. Loh Chun Sheng, Mr.Choo Kah Hung)
- Ms. Nurhazerah Abd Malik (Female Cadet Kumite -54 kg)
- Mr. R Yugenthiran (Male Junior Kumite -55 kg)
- Ms. Sakila Salni (Female Under 21 Kumite -60 kg)
(Report submitted by Encik Chok Kong Yu of Malaysia Karate Federation)
Visit of H.E. Mr. Liu Peng, President of the Chinese Olympic Committee
H.E. Mr. Liu Peng, President of the Chinese Olympic Committee (COC) and Chinese Sports Minister, accompanied by Mr. Song Luzeng, Secretary General of COC and Director General, External Affairs, General Administration of Sport (GAS), Mr. Shi Zehua, President, Chinese Boule Federation, Mr. Liang Chun, Deputy Director, General Office, GAS, Mr. Huang Wei, Assistant to Mr. Liu Peng and Ms. Shen Jie, Official, External Affairs Department, GAS, paid an official visit to the Olympic Council of Malaysia (OCM) on 13th August 2010, from 10.30 a.m. to 11.30 a.m. The Delegation was accompanied by H.E. Mr. Chai Xi, Chinese Ambassador, and his staff, Ms. Li Jiping and Mr. Gao Bo.
The Olympic Council of Malaysia was represented by YAM Tunku Tan Sri Imran ibni Almarhum Tuanku Ja’afar, President of OCM and IOC Member, Y.Bhg. Dato’ Roy Rajasingham, Vice President OCM, Y.Bhg. Dato’ Seri Kee Yong Wee, Hon. Treasurer OCM, Dato’ Sieh Kok Chi, Hon. Secretary OCM, Encik Suhardi Alias and Encik Muhammad Hasni of Majlis Sukan Negara and Encik Fong Wan Hor, Assistant General Manager OCM.
Both sides exchanged views and pledged to further strengthen and enhance the cordial relation and cooperation between the two NOCs. After the brief discussion, the Chinese Delegation visited the OCM Sports Museum and Hall of Fame and the OCM Indoor Sports Arena. The Chinese Delegation will leave for Singapore to attend the 1st Youth Olympic Games on 14th August 2010.
Malaysia Participating in the Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games Rugby Sevens
The Olympic Council of Malaysia is very happy to announce that the Commonwealth Games Federation has extended a formal invitation to Malaysia to participate in the Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games Rugby Sevens Tournament in October 2010.
The Malaysian Rugby 7’s team has improved tremendously over the last four years and has been training very hard preparing to participate in the Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games Rugby Sevens Tournament. Thus, when the initial announcement on 9th June 2010, that the Malaysia had failed to qualify, the players were devastated and disappointed. Now that the Malaysian team has been invited to participate, the team will strive its best to achieve some good performance.
Invitation to Participate in the 16th Asian Games Science Congress 2010
The Guangzhou Asian Games Organising Committee (GAGOC) has invited OCM to nominate one representative to attend the 16th Asian Games Science Congress, to be held in Guangzhou from 10th to 12th October 2010. The Congress Organising Committee will cover the cost of registration fee, accommodation and internal transport. Candidates are invited to submit their applications to OCM for consideration. Preference would be given to candidates who would present a sports science paper at the Congress. The closing date is 20th August 2010.