OCM Weekly Highlights
9th January 2011
OCM Official Website: www.olympic.org.my
CGA Malaysia – 100Plus Outstanding Athletes of the Delhi XIX Commonwealth Games Awards – 13th January 2011 at 3.00 p.m. at OM Sports Museum, Wisma OCM Phase II.
18th OCM Annual Dinner – 14th January 2011 at 8.00 p.m. at OCM Indoor Sports Arena, Level 3, OCM Indoor Sports Complex, Kuala Lumpur.
Le Tour de Langkawi 2011 – 23rd January to 1st February 2011.
19th OCM Executive Board Meeting – 25th January 2011 at 4.30 p.m. at OCM Boardroom, 1st Floor, Wisma OCM.
14th National Olympic Academy Session for Young Sports Leaders 2011 – 25th to 30th January 2011 at Wisma OCM, Kuala Lumpur.
V Commonwealth Tenpin Bowling Championship 2011 – 19th to 26th February 2011 at Sunway Megalanes, Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.
MAJOR SPORTS EVENTS 2010/2011
7th Asian Winter Games 2011, Astana-Almaty, Kazakhstan – 30th January to 6th February 2011
4th Commonwealth Youth Games 2011 – 7th to 13th September 2011, Isle of Man.
26th SEA Games 2011 – 11th to 25th November 2011 at Pelembang and Jakarta, Indonesia.
18th OCM Annual Dinner
The 18th OCM Annual Dinner will be held on 14th January 2011 at 8.00 p.m. at OCM Indoor Sports Arena, Level 3, OCM Indoor Sports Complex, Kuala Lumpur. The Guest of Honour is YB Senator Gan Peng Sieu, Deputy Minister of Youth and Sports Malaysia.
The OCM Annual Dinner was first held in 1993, and since then it has been held every year, either in December of that year or in January of the following year. The main objective of the OCM Annual Dinner is to organise an annual gathering of the OCM family, comprising OCM Office Bearers, staff, the NSAs and present and retired national athletes, OCM’s sponsors and partners, such as MSN, ISN, KBS, Coca-Cola, etc., OCM’s volunteers, friends and supporters, to celebrate the success of the past year, to recognise the outstanding athletes (present and past) and officials and to show our appreciations to our sponsors and partners that their support have been put to good use by OCM, for the development of sports in Malaysia.
At the OCM Annual Dinner, the OCM-Coca-Cola Olympians of the Year are presented to the most outstanding male and female athletes, who participated in either the SEA Games (during odd years), or the Olympic Games (during a leap year) or the Asian and Commonwealth Games (during the even non-leap year). The reason for selecting the above four important multi-sports Games for the selection of the Olympians of the Year is not to duplicate National Sportsman/Sportswoman Awards and also because the above four Games are directly under the jurisdiction of the Olympic Council of Malaysia.
At the 18th OCM Annual Dinner, the following awards will be presented:
- The 2010 IOC Trophy “Inspiring Young People” to be awarded to the Sports Division of the Ministry of Education.
- The following will be inducted to the OCM Hall of Fame:
- Encik Mike Shepherdson – Double International in Cricket and Hockey. Represented Malaya at the 1956 Olympic Games and the 1958 and 1962 Asian Games.
- The late Mr. Herman de Souza – Founding member of the Federation of Malaya Olympic Council and Vice President from 1954 to 1957. Chef de Mission of the Malayan Contingent to the Melbourne 1956 Olympic Games. President of Malayan Hockey Federation 1953 to 1957. Represented Malaya in Hockey in the 1930’s and also Captain of the Malayan Team of Hong Kong/Macau Tour.
- The late Edmond Yong – Double International having represented Malaysia is Shooting and Tennis. Won bronze medal in Skeet Team at the 1974 Asian Games. He was an expert on the rules of Golf and was a highly respected international Golf official. He was a highly respected international Golf official having officiated in the British Open and the US Masters. He was the Secretary General of the Malaysian Golf Association (MGA) from 1965 to 1986. He was a Council Member and Legal Advisor of the Selangor Shooting Association and the National Shooting Association of Malaysia.
- The following have been short-listed for the OCM – Coca-Cola Olympians of the Year 2010;
- Nominees for the Woman Olympian – Chai Fong Ying, Dato’ Nicol Ann David, and Pandelela Rinong.
- Nominees for the Man Olympian – Alex Liew Kien Liang, Koo Kien Keat, Mohd Azizulhasni Awang and R. Puvaneswaran.
CGA Malaysia – 100Plus Outstanding Athletes of the Delhi XIX Commonwealth Games Awards
The Commonwealth Games Association (CGA) of Malaysia is another name of the Olympic Council of Malaysia, when participating in the Commonwealth Games and other activities of the Commonwealth Games Federation. The reason for also being known as the CGA of Malaysia is because the Commonwealth Games Federation, unlike the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) and the SEA Games Federation, has no direct link with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and does not receive any funding from the IOC or Solidarity.
The CGA of Malaysia and 100Plus are jointly recognising the achievements of the Malaysian Commonwealth Games athletes who participated at the Delhi XIX Commonwealth Games, by presenting the CGA Malaysia – 100Plus Outstanding Athletes of the Delhi XIX Commonwealth Games on 13th January 2011 at 3.00 p.m. at OM Sports Museum, Wisma OCM Phase II. The two most outstanding male and two most outstanding female athletes of the Delhi XIX Commonwealth Games will each receive a cash award of RM5,000/=.
International Art and Essay Competitions of the 7th Asian Winter Games, Astana/Almaty
In addition to the three winners announced last week, OCM wishes to ass Joachim Ho Cheng, the third place winner in the Essay competitions in the 13-16 years age group, whose name was inadvertently left out.
14th National Olympic Academy Session for Young Sports Leaders 2011
The 14th National Olympic Academy Session for Young Sports Leaders, organised by the National Olympic Academy of Malaysia will be held from 25th to 30th January 2011 at Wisma OCM, Jalan Hang Jebat, Kuala Lumpur. Affiliates of OCM are requested to nominate their representatives, to attend the above Session. The best Malaysian male and female participant will be selected to represent Majlis Olimpik Malaysia to attend the International Olympic Academy Session to be held in Olympia, Greece, in June/July 2011. All members of OCM are encouraged to nominate candidates to attend the 14th National Olympic Academy Session for Young Sports Leaders 2011.
Advanced Sport Management Course 2011
The 4th Advanced Sport Management Course will be held as follows:
- Session 1 – 24th to 27th February 2011.
- Session 2 – 19th to 22nd May 2011.
- Session 3 – 4th to 7th August 2011.
- Session 4 – 6th to 9th October 2011.
The closing date for application is 31st January 2011. All NSAs are encouraged to send their participants to attend.