OCM Weekly Highlights
19th July 2009
OCM Official Website: www.olympic.org.my
153rd OCM Council Meeting – 25th July 2009 at the Conference Room, Level 2, OCM Indoor Sports Complex, Wisma OCM, from 9.30 a.m.
9th OCM Annual Events Seminar 2009 – 25th July 2009 at the Conference Room, Level 2, OCM Indoor Sports Complex, Wisma OCM, from 11.00 a.m.
The World Women Tenpin Bowling Championship 2009 – 26th July to 3rd August 2009 at Las Vegas, USA.
1st Mini Olympics Malaysia 2009 – 29th July to 9th August 2009.
1st Asian Martial Arts Games 2009 – 1st to 9th August 2009, Bangkok, Thailand.
26th Malaysian Ladies Amateur Open 2009 – 4th to 6th August 2009 at The Mines Resort & Golf Club, Kuala Lumpur.
23rd FIBA Asia Championship for Women - Twelve teams divided into two Levels will battle it out in the Championship which will be played from Sept 17-24, 2009 in the southern Indian coastal town of Chennai. Malaysia is in Level II with teams from Kazakhstan, Lebanon, Philippines, Sri Lanka and Uzbekistan.
Sports Toto – DBKL – OCM Community Tree Planting Project
The Sports Toto – DBKL – OCM Community Tree Planting Project was launched on 19th July 2009 at 9.00 a.m. at Football field, Jalan Wirawati 5, Taman Maluri, Kuala Lumpur. Present were Encik Vincent Seow, Executive Director of Sports Toto Malaysia Sdn Bhd, Encik Mohd Hafiz bin Shamsuddin, officer of City Hall Kuala Lumpur (DBKL), Encik Adnan bin Mohd, Senior Officer of the Forest Research Institute Malaysia (FRIM), Y.Bhg. Dato’ Roy Rajasingham, Vice President of OCM and Dato Sieh Kok Chi, Hon. Secretary of OCM.
In his opening address, Encik Vincent Seow thanked FRIM and the Forestry Department for donating 300 trees to Sports Toto to plant at residential areas of the City of Kuala Lumpur. He thanked DBKL and OCM for their collaboration in the tree planting campaign, which would be completed in a month, by 19th August 2009. He also thanked the Race Walkers Association of Malaysia for sending two national walkers, Encik Y. Thirukumaran and Encik Lo Choon Seng for their presence to demonstrate the technique of Race Walking to the children in the Taman Maluri Community, and Jazzercise for leading the mass aerobic exercise for the participants present at the launch.
Encik Mohd Hafiz bin Shamsuddin, officer of City Hall Kuala Lumpur (DBKL), in his address stated that tree planting is an important programme of DBKL, which started in the 70’s, with the objective of making Kuala Lumpur a ‘green’ City. He thanked Sports Toto and OCM for launching the community tree planting project, which fits in well with the objectives of DBKL.
Before the tree planting begins, there was a joint aerobic exercise with Jazzercise and a race walking clinic for young children by two National Race Walkers. During the tree planting, Encik Adnan bin Mohd of FRIM, gave some tips on the correct way of planting trees, to ensure the survival and maximum growth of the trees. A total of 30 trees were planted at Taman Maluri.
Sports Calendar 2010
The Astro Arena TV Sports Channel is proposed to be launched sometime towards the end of 2009. In order to ensure the success of Astro Arena, all National Sports Associations are requested to submit their 2010 Calendar of their sports competitions and championships to OCM by 15th July 2009. The Sports Calendar and its importance to Astro Arena, will be discussed at the 9th OCM Annual Events Seminar to be held on 25th July 2009 at Wisma OCM, at 11.00 a.m. immediately after the 153rd OCM Council Meeting.
2nd OCM Executive Board Meeting 2009
The 2nd OCM Executive Board Meeting for the session 2009/2011 was held on 14th July 2009. The following matters were decided:
• Approved the final Draft Trust Deed of the OCM Sports Development Trust Fund. The final draft Trust Deed would be tabled for approval of the OCM Council at its 153rd meeting on 25th July 2009.
• Approved the MOU between Astro and OCM for the TV Sports Channel under the name of Astro Arena.
• Approved the proposal for OCM to bid to host the 125th IOC Session in Kuala Lumpur in 2013.
• Decided to appeal to the Organising Committee of the 1st Asian Youth Games to refund the payment of board & lodging of the Malaysian Contingent due to the non-participation of the Contingent in the 1st Asian Games in Singapore as a precaution against H1N1.
• Noted the nomination of Encik Ow Soon Kooi by the Malaysian Olympians Association to attend the Seoul Asia – Oceania Olympian Congress 2009 to be held in Olympic Parktel, Seoul on 28th and 29th August 2009. Encik Ow participated in Field Hockey at the Montreal 1976 Olympic Games and the Los Angeles 1984 Olympic Games.